As we've established, May is full of different dog celebration weeks from "Be Kind to Animals Week" to "Puppy Mill Action Week" to "National Pet Week." But while we're celebrating our pups, we need to make sure that we're taking care of them, too.
Recently, studies have come out that show that something in our everyday life can be poison to our pups.
Xylitol, an artificial sweetener, is used in tons of products that we use every day, like toothpaste, peanut butter, sugar free gum, and more.
The sweetener is fine for us humans, but not so much for our dogs. The FDA has released an official warning that xylitol is not only bad for dogs, but can prove to be fatal.
Obviously your dog won't be chewing gum or munching on toothpaste anytime soon, but xylitol can be in tons of other common food items that your dog might consume.
Like if you sneak your dog's pill in peanut butter to encourage them to eat it. Unfortunately, xylitol can sneak in there, too. It's also in tons of baked goods that you might not give your dog, but they can nonetheless get into.
Xylitol is bad for dogs because it gives them a sudden rush of insulin. This rush send their blood sugar levels dangerously low, which can cause an onset of severe symptoms like vomiting, staggering, seizures, and even death. All of this occurs fast, hitting in just one day.
If you notice any symptoms like this, call your vet or a poison control line immediately.
Keep your dog safe by reading every label on any people food you might give them. It's still okay to hide their medicine in peanut butter, but make sure it's xylitol-free.
You can help by spreading the word. Let all of your fellow dog-owners know just how dangerous this sweetener can be. Keep safe!
Ready to start your puppy off on the right paw?
Transform your potty training experience with easy, disposable fresh grass puppy pads conveniently delivered to your door!