Clearly, all of us dog owners know that dog owners are the best! I love every animal, don’t get me wrong, but there is something special about a dog owner. Not only is it our determination, our compassion, and commitment to our dogs, but it’s… our dogs themselves!
Owning a dog can actually make you a happier, healthier person. Here are some ways that your dog helps you:
- Exercise – When you have a dog, you are more likely to get more exercise! Even taking your dog outside to go to the bathroom is exercise in itself. And most dogs need more outside time than that, like walks and runs. Having a dog encourages you to go on that morning jog!
- Boosting your mood – Everyone knows playing with puppies is ridiculously fun. Actually a bunch of fee-good chemicals (erotonin, prolactin and oxytocin) are all released into your system after only a few minutes of puppy playtime!
- Keeping your blood pressure down – Even though owning dogs and taking care of them can sometimes be stressful, there have been studies conducted that have found a correlation between owning a dog and lower blood pressure!
- Building up your immune system – If you have dog hair everywhere, you’ll automatically vacuum more! This will keep your house and your lungs, nice and clean!
- They can sense drops in blood pressure – Dogs have such a keen sense of smell that they can detect when your blood sugar drops. This is especially helpful to those with diabetes – your dog could save your life!
- They can sniff out cancer – That’s right, not only does their nose detect changes in blood pressure but dogs who are trained to can sniff our cancer chemicals.
- Finally – they keep you social – Because dogs need more socialization and outside needs than cats do, dog owners are automatically forced to be more social!
So we all know your dog makes you incredibly happy, but next time people ask why you’re a dog person, you’ll have some real evidence to show them!