Here it is, finally: December! It's getting to be the most wonderful time of the year. But Christmas, Hannukah, and Kwanzaa aren't the only major holidays this month. Among others, there is National Mutt Day, which is celebrated today, December 2nd.
National Mutt Day, or National Mixed Breed Day, was founded by none other than the infamous Colleen Paige. Paige loves mutts so much that she has deemed both July 31st and December 2nd to be National Mutt Day. And we can't agree more that our wonderful, adorable mixed breeds should be celebrated.
Here are some ways you can celebrate National Mutt Day:
- Donate $5 to your local animal shelter. Imagine what everyone giving $5 would do!
- Volunteer to walk dogs. Local shelters could always use more help. Call around and see if any of the pups up for adoption need some exercise.
- Donate dog food to your local shelters. You can call the shelter before you donate and ask if they feed their pups a specific type of food.
- Post pictures of your mutt. Seriously, we know your mutt is a ham in front of the camera, so share photos of them along with the caption #NationalMuttDay
- Order a DNA test for your mutt. Want to know exactly what your mutt is made of? Look into different types of doggy DNA testing. Many come in kits you can order just like the human versions.
- Spread awareness. Get vocal on social media or to your friends about the "adopt don't shop" idea. Most of the dogs in shelters who need homes are mixed-breeds, and it's good to remind people of all the fun they can be and all the help they need.
Whether you have a mutt or not, it's a great day to spread awareness of all the personality and love a mixed-breed dog can give. Happy National Mutt Day!