1. Reward Immediate Use: Many puppies and adult dogs instinctively take to Fresh Patch, so be ready to offer verbal praise and a treat immediately to reinforce the behavior.
2. Observe Use: Make sure you watch your dog the first few times he uses Fresh Patch. Some dogs may try to destroy the box and/or rip up the grass.
3. Establish Routine: Establish and follow a routine. For example, take your puppy to potty on Fresh Patch after he wakes up in the morning, before and after meals, after playtime, after naps, and at bedtime. Puppies have small bladders and bowels and need to potty every 4 hours. If he doesn’t go within 5 minutes, try again in about 15 minutes. When successful, praise your dog enthusiastically and give him a treat.
4. Watch Potty-Time Signs: Between potty breaks, watch for signs your dog needs to go‐‐coming to a sudden halt, circling, sniffing in a dedicated manner, or dropping his bottom. If you do see him about to go, distract him and take him to his Fresh Patch as quickly as possible.
5. Use Leash: To associate the living grass of FRESH PATCH with the outdoors, walk your dog over to the Fresh Patch on a leash. When your dog goes, reward him with a brief walk outside. Use same verbal cues and treats as used outside. If that doesn’t work, walk your dog over to Fresh Patch whenever you bring him inside from a walk. Keep walking your dog at least once a day so he knows that Fresh Patch is not a substitute for a fun walk with you.
6. Attract with Scents: If your puppy/dog is having trouble, transfer his urine onto Fresh Patch using a paper towel; or try placing a piece of soiled pee pad under the grass pad in Fresh Patch. Another method involves having a friend’s dog “go” on the Fresh Patch so your dog can get the hang of it. Repeat process if necessary. Pheromone sprays are also available in pet stores to attract dogs to potty spots.
7. Transition from Plastic Potties and Pee Pads: Dogs who use synthetic products may need time to transition to Fresh Patch. Place Fresh Patch near or on whatever synthetic products you are using, so your dog can understand its purpose. Once your dog uses Fresh Patch, remove the other products from use. Be patient. Doggie habits can be hard to break.