Spring is around the corner - but we still have some of the winter season to get through! If you live in the midwest or north, then you've probably already dealt with your fair share of snow this season. Here are some tips on doggy-safe products to use when tackling that snow and ice.
Why Salt is Dangerous
It can be easy to not even think about the product that you use when trying to de-ice your sidewalk. However, using the wrong product could cause your pup harm.
First of all, salt can be very uncomfortable! If your pup steps on salt and gets it in between their toes, it can actually heat up and burn your pup's feet.
Even worse, if your pup consumes the salt (which they might if it's irritating their feet), it can cause them to have both major and minor digestive problems. If your dog eats a large quantity of salt, it can even cause them to have a seizure.
Chemicals in Ice-Melt
Some chemicals in ice-melt products (versus standard salt products) can be dangerous for both your pup and the environment. Even if a product is labeled "pet-safe," go the extra step and check the product for the following chemicals:
As alternatives to standard rock salt or chemical-filled ice melt, here are some dog- and pet-safe products to use in your home.
Morton® Safe-T-Pet® Ice Melt - This product is both chloride-free and salt-free, which makes it non-toxic to pups. If they get any on their paws, the rounded shape of the rocks make them less irritating to your pup's feet. This product works in as low as 10 degrees Fahrenheit.
Safe Paw Ice Melter - This brand also features round pellets that minimize irritation of your pup's feet and features non-toxic chemicals that are still effective when melting ice. This product melts ice in as low a -2 degrees Fahrenheit.
Natural Alternative Ice Melt - This product is safe for all animals thanks to its biodegradable nature. It also doesn't hurt plantlife and can work in temperatures as low as -16 degrees Fahrenheit.
Remember, when you go to melt that ice, make sure it's only products that are safe for your pup!